Charlie, Jayne and Scott dressed up for the night of nights in the brewing industry; The Beeries (photo courtesy of The Beeries).
We were nominated for two Beerie awards: The Best New Brewery award and The Gold Beerie for 'Best community contributor'.
The event was held at The Brisbane Showgrounds convention centre. The food was great, the room was packed and there was heaps of top quality beer available.
We held our breath when the award winners were called out. But unfortunately we came home empty handed. We would like to thank everyone who voted for us and also congratulate the winners of the awards.
The Civil War was a long hard fought battle with only one side Victorious. A great weekend of fun with people tasting beer from both sides of the Brisbane River. The Northern brewers battled hard and fast, alas could not beat the strength and might of the Southern brewers. The final tally was 44% for the Northside to 56% to the Southside.
For those that want to know how the beers lined up:
* Brouhaha’s Milk Stout vs Black Hops Eggnog Stout. Feedback from the crowd was that the Stouts were one of the hardest to choose a winner. Northside’s Brouhaha came through with the win.
* Croft (Archer) Brewing The Doc Flanders Style Brown Sour vs White Lies Brewing Raspberry Sour - White Lies Brewing Raspberry Sour was the flavour of the night with more votes received for the Southside.
* Newstead’s Tara Irish Red vs Helios’ Goddess Red Rye. A close battle of the team captains General Fergus “Stonewall” Seppanen from Newstead going out hard. However it was Charlie ‘Rebel Yell’ Hodgson from Helios Brewing who came through with more votes at the end of the weekend.
* Bravo Brewing’s Happy Chappy Session Pale Ale vs Ballistic Pale Ale. This was the closest battle of the weekend. Bravo Brewing from the Brisbane's Northside came through with the overall win.
We feel very honored to be nominated for two Beerie Awards:
* Best New Brewery. * The Gold Beerie for 'Best community contributor'.
As we are newcomers to the beer scene in Brisbane, we didn't expect to get a nomination for a Gold Beerie. So you can imagine our surprise when we received the phone call about our nomination! We were very excited!
Then there is a big party on the 20th September to celebrate and find out who the winners are. You can buy tickets too, just check out The Beerie's website for details.
What The Beeries had to say about us: "Nominated for their commitment to environmental sustainability, we love that Helios Brewing is producing great beer with great environmental practices. A true leader in our community setting a wonderful example for us all to follow."
It may seem small to some people, but it is our half year anniversary. Over the past six months we have learnt so much about running a business, brewing beer, wholesale sales, marketing, customer service, council approval processes, certifications. The list goes on.
So we thought we would celebrate this milestone with you and thank you for your continued support.
Friday the 13th July - from 4:00 pm
* Wear your Helios t-shirt and buy a beer. You get the second one for half price! * Bring in your Helios branded Growler or Squealer and you get it filled for half price! * Buy a Helios branded Growler or Squealer on the night and fill it for half price!
(Whoa that was a lot of exclamation marks)
We will have a Food Truck onsite for the night
A great brewery needs to have great beer. Head Brewer Charlie clearly shows his strengths in that area. He makes great beer! Customer feedback has always been fantastic and he is central to the Helios Team. Scott also has shown why he is a certified brewing judge by creating delicious beer recipes. He also spends a lot of time sourcing local contractors and developing our continual improvement in our environmental sustainability processes. Tony had the vision for the bar design and sourced the wood for the bar top and the front. He also chose our floor coverings, lights and furniture. Jayne does lots of the ‘behind the scenes’ items with the accounting, excise reporting, invoicing and social media.
Here are a few photos of our early days at the ‘warehouse’. We marked out the floor to show where the equipment would go. We also hired a cherry picker so the graphic designer could paint the Helios mural on the wall before the tanks arrived.
It’s our first year of Brewsvegas and we are stoked to be a part of a number of events held over the 10th of March - 18th of March. The first one is the Southside Breweries Tank Parties; see the details here; Southside Breweries and the other big one is the Helios Bike Ride and beers on Saturday the 17th March.